phone-icon Call

Warmer Kiwi Homes

Who is it for?

Warmer Kiwi Homes is a new insulation programme from the Government for low-income homeowners (owner-occupiers)

Homeowners with Community Services Cards, or living in an area deemed as lower-income are eligible for grants covering 67% of the cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation. Register your interest now to have your home insulated under the new Warmer Kiwi Homes programme.

Eligibility Criteria

Warmer Kiwi Homes for Homeowners (Owner-Occupiers):

To be eligible for the 67% grant you must: 

  • be the homeowner (owner-occupier) and have a Community Services Card or SuperGold combo card, OR
  • own and be living in a home in an area identified as lower-income (New Zealand Deprivation Index decile 9 or 10 area) AND
  • own a home built before 2008.

Heating grants

Heating grants will be added from 1 July 2019 to align with the heating standards being developed under the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act. If your home is insulated and you meet the eligibility criteria, you will receive a grant (funding amount yet to be confirmed) for a heating appliance. It is possible to get a grant for insulation this year, then come back in 2019 to get a heating appliance installed using a heating grant.    

Funding is limited - contact your local EnergySmart branch to take advantage of this offer now or to find out if you live in an area identified as lower-income!

Book an assessment

 What does the funding cover?

Purchase and installation to approved standards, of:

  • Ceiling insulation, underfloor insulation and under-house ground vapour barrier. You need to have both ceiling and underfloor insulation done (if possible) to required standards for funding.
  • Where necessary: a hot water cylinder wrap, pipe lagging, and draft-stopping may be required at additional cost.

How much will eligible homeowners have to pay?

Eligible homeowners will be required to contribute a maximum of 33% towards an insulation retrofit. 

Paying through your rates

Eligible homeowners may use Voluntary Targeted Rates (VTR) to cover their 33% contribution towards an insulation retrofit. Council VTR scheme conditions apply.

To find out more about various discounts, grants and subsidies that may apply to you, call us on 0800 777 111 or book your free home assessment.

Who can get a Community Services Card (CSC)?

Homeowners and tenants on on a low to middle-income can apply for a Community Services card. Do you qualify? The chart below gives you a guide: 

Income Limits
You may be able to get a card if you're... And your yearly income (before tax) is...
Single - living with others $26,330
Single - living alone $27,942
Married, civil union or de facto couple - no children $41,783
NZ Superannuation single, sharing accommodation $26,949
NZ Superannuation single, living alone $28,626
NZ Superannuation married, civil union or de facto relationship - no children $42,836
Family of 2 $49,993
Family of 3 $60,402
Family of 4 $68,682
Family of 5 $76,790
Family of 6 $85,852
For families of more than 6, the limit goes up another $7,986 for each extra person

For more information, visit the Ministry of Social Development website.

You don't qualify? Don't worry...

If you don't meet the criteria for any of our Warmer Kiwi Homes projects, we can still help. Call us on 0800 777 111 or book your free home assessment today.

Book an assessment